How to Make Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate brownies are thought to have derived from 19th century America, offering a small cake-like treat ‘suitable for ladies’. Today, brownies are a simple, yet enormously popular, baked dessert; somewhat a mixture between a cake a very soft cookie. This traybake is chock-full of chocolaty, fudgy goodness, served as is, à la mode, or with a dollop of cream. Are you ready to cause a stir in your kitchen?
- 360g of Caster Sugar
- 250g of Butter
- 200g of Dark Chocolate (high cocoa %)
- 80g of Cocoa Powder
- 65g of Plain Flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 24cm Square Baking Tin
- Greaseproof Paper
- Large Glass Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
METHOD: Gooey, Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan or gas mark 4) and line your baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Grab a large glass bowl and break the chocolate up into it. Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer, place the glass bowl over it (the bowl shouldn’t be touching the water) and then add your butter to the chocolate. Keep stirring the mixture until it’s melted.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift your flour and cocoa powder, and then add in your sugar and baking powder. Combine the ingredients.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and combine well. Beat together the eggs, add them to the brownie mixture, and then combine further – until the mix is smooth.
- Empty the mixture into your baking tin and then put it in the oven for up to 25 minutes. Insert a cocktail stick into the centre 5 minutes before the end of the timer, but unlike cakes, you want mixture attached to the cocktail stick; your brownies should be nice and gooey in the centre, but not too runny. The outside of the brownies should have a lovely, shiny crust. The most important thing here is not to over-bake them – you’ll lose their squidgy texture!
- Once baked, remove the brownies from the oven and leave them to cool in the baking tray. Finally, chop them up into nice-sized portions, ready to enjoy. Decorate with little chocolate chips and sliced strawberries to impress even further.