How to Make Milk Carton Lanterns
We all know Halloween is meant to be dark and spooky… but you’ll need a little light on the night! So, to make sure everyone can see what an awesome effort you’ve made on your Halloween costume and house decorations, we bring you the perfect solution. What better way to cast an eerie glow over proceedings than with these ghostly milk carton lanterns? They’re too cute for words!
- Empty Milk Cartons
- Battery Operated LED Candles
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Craft Knife
- Cutting Mat
- Sticky Tape
METHOD: Eco-Friendly Recycled Milk Bottle Lanterns
- Ensure your milk bottles are clean before you begin by washing them out with warm soapy water, thoroughly rinsing, and leaving them to dry completely.
- Take all of the plastic milk carton lids and paint them black using your acrylic paint and paintbrush. Set them aside to dry while you work on step 3.
- Remove the base of each plastic milk bottle using a sharp pair of scissors – this will enable you to place your milk bottle over the top of your LED candle later on, creating a spooky lampshade effect!
- Take your first sheet of card and draw out two eyes and a mouth. Then, place this card onto your cutting mat and carefully cut out these shapes using your craft knife. You have now created your first stencil! Repeat this on separate sheets of card, drawing a different spooky face each time – ensure you produce enough faces for the number of milk cartons you plan to use.
- Take your first card stencil and attach it to the largest side of your milk carton using sticky tape at its edges. Now, take your paintbrush and carefully apply the black acrylic paint to the stencilled face cut-outs. Leave this to dry, and then remove the card stencil – voila! Your spooky Halloween face is perfectly applied!
- Once the lid has completely dried, add this back to the top of the bottle. Now you can set up your LED candles on any surface you choose – the mantelpiece, the windowsill, the doorstep… the decorative opportunities are endless.
- Once all your battery-operate candles are in place, switch them on and then cover each one with a newly completed spooky-faced milk carton cover. Now you can sit back and take delight in how awesome they look!