How To Make A Crown Layered Pavlova
A stunning centrepiece fit for any summer banquet, this beautiful layered pavlova looks so wonderful you won’t want to cut it up. Nevertheless, once your guests lay their eyes on this splendid fruit-filled feast of a dessert, you won’t have any choice! Read on to discover how to create it.
- 6 free-range egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 350g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 600ml double cream, whipped until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed
- 250g strawberries, hulled
- 250g blueberries
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Greaseproof paper
- 3 x baking trays
- Mixing bowl
- Piping bag
Method: A Simply Stunning Centrepiece – Crown Layered Pavlova
- Pre-heat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius.
- Draw two 20cm-circles (try finding baking pans of the correct size and drawing around them!) out on greaseproof paper, then draw out a third circle measuring 15cm in diameter. Place these out on three separate baking trays.
- Add your egg whites and a pinch of salt to a large mixing bowl, and whisk until they form soft peaks when the whisk is withdrawn. Then slowly add the sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes stiff and glossy. Finally, whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Next, use a spoon to add one third of the mixture to one of the 2cm-circles. Add another third to the other 20cm-circle, then divide the remaining third in half, and add one half of it to the 15cm-circle. Take the remaining meringue mixture, add it to a piping bag, and use it to pipe a crown around the edge of the 15cm-circle.
- Now, add your meringue circles to the oven, and bake for approximately 75 minutes, or until the meringue is crisp on the outside but softly set on the inside. At this stage, simply turn off your oven, and leave the meringues inside to cool slowly.
- Once cooled, remove from the oven and carefully remove the greaseproof paper from the bottom of your meringues.
- Place one of the two larger meringues out on a flat serving plate, and spread its top with one third of your double cream. Top this with some strawberries and blueberries.
- Layer the second larger meringue on top of this, and again add another third of your double cream to the top of it, spread it out evenly, and top with strawberries and blueberries.
- Now for the crowning glory! Take the smaller, crown-shaped meringue and add this to the very top, and fill with the remaining double cream, strawberries and blueberries.
- Dust your masterpiece with icing sugar, and voila! It’s ready to serve up.